Thai lettuce wrap with crispy tofu & peanut sauce
Here are a few recipes that could be used to make many different meals. Place the veggies & tofu in a rice paper and you have a fresh spring roll. Place the tofu stick on a stir fry, in a wrap, etc.
Gives about 4 portions
Marinating time : at least 30 min
Prep time : 20 min
Cooking time : 30 min
WHAT YOU NEED
CRISPY TOFU STICKS
- One block of firm tofu
- 1 cup of Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce (or Bragg's, or tamari)
- 2 tbsp of lime juice
- 1 inch of fresh ginger
- 2 garlic clove
- 3 tbsp of toasted sesame oil
- Siracha sauce
- 1/2 cup of natural peanut butter (or simply regular, crunchy, any will do)
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk (or almond milk)
- 1 tbsp of red curry paste (adds a lot of flavourp but could do without)
- 2 tbsp of honey
- 2 tbsp of fish sauce (adds flavour, but could do without)
- Siracha sauce
This recipe could be done with about anything, but here are my suggestion. You don't have to put all of those veggies, but use what you have available.
I used :
- 1 small mushroom container (white, shitake, mini bella or other)
- 2 big handfuls of baby bok choy (or napa, bok choy, toy choy, kale, etc)
- 2 carrots in julienne
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 handfuls of bean sprouts
- you could add, peppers, peas, edamame, brocolis, etc.
*** Try to prepare a lot more veggies then you think you would need, they shrink so much that we ran out before everyone was stuffed!***
FOR THE WRAPS :
1 big head of romaine lettuce, or Boston, washed and dried. Keep the biggest pieces.
HOW TO MAKE THE TOFU STICKS
- Place all the marinade ingredient in a pyrex container : soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, Siracha
- Cut the tofu block in small sticks (3x3x6)
- Preheat the oven at 400F
- Place Panko in a ziplock bag. Dip each strick in the bread crumbs and shake. Like a good old Shake and Bake! You could also squeeze & press the panko on the stick.
- Place the stick on a baking sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes at 400F. Flip the sticks 180 degree and cook another 15 min.
*** Don't throw the rest of the marinade, you can use it for the veggies***
HOW TO MAKE THE PEANUT SAUCE
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a small pot. Heat at medium heat for 10 minutes, or until the sauce thickens slightly. Whisk from time to time. Keep on the lowest heat until you are ready to eat.
HOW TO MAKE THE VEGGIES
- Dice the veggies and julienne the carrots
- Sauté the onion in a wok or big pan with a little bit of oil.
- Add all the other veggies. Cook until they have soften slightly but don't wait until they are mushy. (about 10 min)
- Add lime juice, soy sauce, s&p, ginger, but mostly pour the rest of the marinade on the veggies.
Place a spoonful of veggies, a few tofu stick on a lettuce leaf. Add a little bit of peanut sauce. Wrap the bottom then the sides.